Sunday, May 6, 2012

EDSS 530 - Scoop.It


Throughout my time developing my Personal Learning Network or PLN I have been introduced to an overwhelming number of technological resources including Twitter, Pintrest and Diigo. In all the technological resources I have been introduced to however one has stood out to become my favorite. Scoop.It is a digital resource that allows users to curate a personalized magazine. A user begins by joining the free site and downloading a tool to his or her browser. When the user finds an article, website or other resource he or she wishes to save the user clicks on the Scoop.It tool. The user is then prompted to choose a picture for the article and give a brief synopsis. The post can then be either Tweeted or added to the user’s Facebook before being added to the curator’s magazine. Users of Scoop.It can decide to follow other users and “rescoop” their posts.

I have discovered a passion for Scoop.It for a variety of reasons. First and foremost as a visual learner I enjoy the idea of adding pictures to articles I find interesting and Scoop.It makes choosing the pictures simple. Sites such as Diigo do not allow users to add pictures to bookmarks and in many ways Pintrest overdoes the use of visuals. Another reason I enjoy Scoop.It is its ability to track views. I have always enjoyed seeing how many views and followers my blogs, websites and social media sites receive. Scoop.It allows users to track various statistics about their magazines including views, rescoops and mentioned. These are tools not utilized by sites such as Diigo and Pintrest. The final major reason I enjoy Scoop.It is its ease of access. A newcomer of Scoop.It can easily figure out how it is used and, in a matter of minutes, be curetting articles.

There are countless resources on the web today and when found many have faults that prevent users from enjoying them. When I found Scoop.It I did not find these faults and instead have found a resource I will continue to use throughout my teaching career, both to develop my PLN and inside my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment