Saturday, March 10, 2012

Valley High School - Week Three Observation

February 10, 2012
 
Observation Report
I arrived at Valley High School in Escondido at approximately 8:00 A.M. on Friday, February 10, 2012. Upon arriving on campus I proceeded to the staff lounge where I was greeted by a large portion of the faculty and staff of Valley High School. After the first bell at 8:15 A.M. I went to one of my cooperating teacher’s connections class for first period. During the hour long class students read a newspaper article and filled out a summary sheet. The article comes from the local newspaper and can be on any current event. The summary consists of five sentences focusing on the who, what, when, where and why of the event. I spent both second and third period in Mr. Flynt’s classroom, observing the two United States History B classes I would eventually be taking over in mid-March. During the first portion of the class the students watched a video addressing the reasons why the United States entered the war in Vietnam. During the course of the video I noticed some students were interested while others were not. At the conclusion of the half-an-hour video students wrote a one-page summary on the film. After period three ended I visited my other cooperating teacher and the United States Government class I would be instructing. As Mr. Palacios, my cooperating teacher, prefers to maintain a pattern he administers quizzes on Fridays. The process begins with the instructor giving the students six minutes to gather and review their notes. After students have gathered their notes the instructor asks questions for three minutes on the content that will be covered on the quiz. After the self and class reviews the instructor hands out the quizzes and students have the remainder of the period to work on them. Students are also permitted to use their notes on the quizzes.

Reflection 
The decision by Mr. Palacios to create a scheduled routine for his students is an excellent idea. Students know that on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays there will be lectures, bookwork and classwork. On Thursdays students know they have the opportunity to review the week’s content so they ensure they bring their notes and classwork. On Fridays students know they will be taking a quiz on the week’s content. Since students are allowed to use notes on the test, students always bring their notes on Fridays. Also students know not to be absent on Fridays. Mr. Palacios stated that he choose to create a pattern because it works best with students. I truly see the value in this decision and will maintain it when I take over instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment